For New Students!!
HOW CAN NEW THEATRE STUDENTS FIND OUT WHAT IS GOING ON IN THE DEPARTMENT?
- Theatre Class
- Call Board – the bulletin board outside the Black Box
- Facebook – TheatreCHS
- Website: www.theatreCHS.org
- Twitter– @TheatreCHS
- Theatre Meeting on 8/22 for students
- Booster Meeting on 8/23 for parents
WHAT ARE SOME ACTIVITIES THAT FRESHMAN STUDENTS CAN GET INVOLVED?
- One-Acts (September, February)
- Auditions for Fall Play and Spring Show (very competitive)
- Homecoming Parade
- Haunted House Party Planners
- Mainstage Productions (Fall, Winter, Spring).
- Forensics Team
- Provide tech support (set construction, painting, costumes, props, publicity)
- Improv Team (very competitive)
VTA – WHAT IS THE VIRGINIA THEATRE ASSOCIATION CONFERENCE?
- This is the annual convention of Virginia Theatre Association (VTA) members. This convention features festivals and competitions, workshops, auditions, exhibits, special showcase performances and meetings.
- The High School Theatre Festival takes place annually at this conference.
- The winners go on to represent Virginia at the regional Southeastern Theatre Conference.
- Typically, students from advanced level acting classes are eligible at attend.
- Students perform a one-act in the competition and receive feedback from judges.
- Senior students have the opportunity to audition for college and university theatre programs.
WHAT IS VHSL?
The Virginia High School League (VHSL) is an organization overseeing interscholastic competition among
public high schools in Virginia. It includes athletic and non-athletic programs such as Drama: One-Act
Plays. Students perform a One-Act at the showcase at the District level. Top places schools move on to
Regional and State competitions. Typically, students from advanced theater classes participate.
WHAT IS THE INTERNATIONAL THESPIAN SOCIETY?
This is an honorary student society recognizing excellence in high school theatre. High School students in
grades 9-12 who have been inducted into the International Thespian Society are known as Thespians.
HOW CAN PARENTS GET “INTO THE ACT?”
- Become a Theatre Booster
- Attend monthly Theatre Booster meetings. New faces and ideas are always welcome!
- Volunteer your time and talents: Volunteer Signup Genius sent out through email
- ticket sales, concession sales, stargram sales
- costuming /sewing
- set building/carpentry
- ATTEND TheatreCHS EVENTS AND PERFORMANCES!
WHAT DO THE THEATRE BOOSTERS DO?
- Raise funds to augment the theatre budget and provide additional performance opportunities through the production of Booster Events: Haunted House, main events.
- Use the funds for :
- Grant senior Scholarships
- Production Support, equipment and “home improvements”
- Subsidize field trips
Coordinate Build Days: Provide mentoring and sweat equity in the production of sets and costumes.
Loan and acquire items for props and scenery (nothing heirloom, please)
Publicize all events and assist in the production of mainstage shows.
Manage front of house for all events: Tickets, Ushers, Concessions
Provide hospitality – We feed students and booster volunteers on long build days and show previews
Provide financial administration – collect lots of little checks and write big checks.
Send an email to: McGrath.K@hotmail.com